United States Academic Decathlon® Curricular Topics for 2018–2019!
The U.S. Academic Decathlon® is excited to announce that the overall curricular theme for 2018–2019 will be The 1960s: A Transformational Decade. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to laser technology and its applications.
- LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be the play Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard.
- ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will largely focus on an introduction to the art of the 1960s.
- MUSIC: The music curriculum will provide an introduction to the music of the 1960s.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will cover U.S. history in the 1960s.
- ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on the U.S. economy in the 1960s.
- MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover permutations and combinations, algebra, and statistics.*
The full subject area outlines will be posted on the U.S. Academic Decathlon® website www.usad.org on May 1 and will also be published in the U.S. Academic Decathlon® Study Guide, which will begin shipping on May 15.
* The 2018–19 mathematics curriculum and materials will be the same as were used for the 2015–16 U.S. Academic Decathlon®.
For more in-depth information about the curriculum, visit USAD.org