The U.S. Academic Decathlon® is excited to announce that the overall curricular theme for 2017–2018 will be Africa. Following is some general information on the topics in each of the subject areas.
- SCIENCE: The science topic will be an introduction to the biology of infectious diseases, with an emphasis on diseases that have had a significant impact on Africa.
- LITERATURE: The literature curriculum will include critical reading, one long work of literature, and selected shorter works. The long work of literature will be the novel Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.
- ART: The art curriculum will include a section on art fundamentals and will largely focus on African art.
- MUSIC: The music curriculum will provide an introduction to the music of Africa.
- SOCIAL SCIENCE: The social science curriculum will provide an introduction to the history of Africa, with an emphasis on West Africa.
- ECONOMICS: The economics curriculum will cover fundamental economic concepts, microeconomics, and macroeconomics and will also include a thematic section on African economic history and development.
- MATHEMATICS: The mathematics curriculum will cover general mathematics, geometry, and an introduction to differential calculus.*
* The 2017–18 mathematics curriculum and materials will be the same as were used for the 2014–15 U.S. Academic Decathlon®
For more in-depth information about the curriculum, visit USAD.org